Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Great Grandma's Sorghum Gingersnaps

A few weeks ago, my mother sent a "kind of a late Easter basket/Valentine's gift." Among other goodies, the gift basket contained a bottle of Iowa Sorghum and a special recipe for my Great Grandmother's Gingersnaps.

I know it's sorta the wrong season for this, but heck, it's May Day today and cookies are fun all year round. Especially homemade Gingersnaps.

So I thought I would share this first-time-ever-published-online secret recipe for any and all to enjoy on this fine May Day.

Gingersnaps:

1 c. sugar
1 c. sorghum
1 c. butter
1 egg
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
2 tsp. soda
1 tblsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
Flour to make a stiff dough

Combine sugar, sorghum (molasses), butter, egg, cinnamon, ginger, & soda. Mix well. Add vinegar, vanilla & enough flour to make a stiff dough. Roll very thin. Cut with cookie cutter. Bake in moderate oven (325 degrees) 10 - 12 minutes. Yield: 48.

That's it! Enjoy

No comments: